Created on September 1, 1944 in Rivoli, Algeria, the 517th Train Regiment earned its glory from 1946 to 1954 in Laos and Annam.
Its motto is: "solid and safe".
The 517th train regiment’s traditions are inherited from the transport group, born on September 1, 1944 in Rivoli.
This group had a short life: one month in Algeria, ten months in Marseille, before being disbanded on August 1, 1945.
It was reborn in Indochina on June 1, 1946, for a period that lasted eight years. In Laos and Annam, it provided transport for infantry formations and supplies for troops in extremely insecure conditions. The group was cited in the divisional order and awarded the overseas operations war cross.
Disbanded in Indochina on March 1, 1955, the 517 was recreated in Morocco as a marching battalion and then as a transport group before being disbanded again on December 31, 1958.
Recreated in Laon, transferred in 1984 to Vernon, it is stationed in Châteauroux since July 1st, 1998.
The 517th train regiment participated in 1991 in the Daguet operation and in the Libage humanitarian mission. Since 1992, it has regularly provided troops for forces engaged in the former Yugoslavia (Bosnia, Kosovo), Macedonia, Africa, Lebanon and Afghanistan.
Today, it is a support-mobility regiment with more than 750 men and women, subordinated to the 1st logistics brigade stationed in Montlhéry.
- to ensure the transport of all types of armored vehicles (in particular the Leclerc tank), and to participate in peacetime logistical transport;
- to set up transport means at the disposal of the train school, located in Bourges, within the framework of the technical training of the trainees;
- to participate in national transports;
- participate in external operations all over the world.
- 2 armored transport squadrons (ETB) ;
- 1 road traffic squadron (ECR);
- Command and logistics squadron (ECL);
- administration and services squadron (EAS);
- 1 reserve unit.
- TRM 700/100 : heavy transport vehicle with all-wheel drive, 700 horsepower/100 tons, mainly used to transport the Leclerc tank. Classified as an exceptional convoy.
- SISU transport vehicle: Finnish equipment under Renault license, 400 horsepower, unladen exceptional convoy class, with trailer, intended for the transport of all types of armored vehicles (tracked or wheeled).
- VTL-R : logistic transport vehicle, intended for the transport of freight and supply by containers.
- VLTT P4 : light all terrain vehicle 4x4.
- Cagiva 350 cm3 motorcycle, mainly intended for escorting convoys made up of the vehicles mentioned above.
- PVP, Small Protected Vehicle: it exists in several versions: rank, command and milan. It is a 4X4 vehicle that has the variation of inflation pressure, allowing an adherence on all grounds. With an empty weight of 4.390 T the PVP is a truck equipped with an automatic gearbox and a YVECO type diesel engine with a maximum power of 160 hp at 3600 rpm.